Sunday, June 15, 2008

We're back!

Nearly 9 days up at the cabin without a computer or email or work to check on - heaven! We arrived early Saturday afternoon with Paul, Vicky and Eric following behind us to a gorgeous sunny day up at Big Pine Lake. Already up at the cabin were my parents, sister and niece, and my aunt Kathy and uncle Keith, who own the cabin with my parents (the cabin next door is owned by my grandparents and that is where everyone else stayed).

We started the vacation out with some ladder golf and for dinner Kathy made mojitos from scratch (they go down too easy!) and her "mexican goulash" which was fantastic.

On Sunday, and every morning, the guys went out fishing. We took Lucy on her first boat ride. She didn't much care for the life jacket so it was a quick ride. Then the guys went out again and this time slaughtered the crappies. No pictures of them here, they're on someone else's camera, but they estimated they caught about 600 fish this week, throwing 2/3 away. We had fried fish for 3 dinners, mmm!

Sunday afternoon the rest of our party arrived - Vicky's brother Duff's family (wife Pam and their 2 boys Zach, and Alex). Our week was a series of fishing, eating, fishing, games, eating, sleeping, and so on. I did not get a fishing license this year but went out to relax one evening for a little bit. Instead I was working on some cross-stitching projects (Santas). My sister had rented the first series of the X-Files and it's surprisingly addicting.

The weather was mostly sunny but never really warm enough to just lounge around on the deck all day. On Wednesday my grandma and Arnie came for the afternoon and we had a meal of fried fish and learned the game "Farkel" while it rained and poured all day. Thursday cleared up to a beautiful day of shopping in Nisswa (Lisa, Val, Pam and Vicky) while the guys stayed back with the kids and played games. I think it was Thursday or Friday night we got a horrible storm come through a little after bed time where the wind was so bad and thunder so loud it shook the cabin. It was also a day of no fishing because the wind was so terrible.

On Saturday we bid goodbye to Duff's family. Zach was playing in his last basketball tournament in the cities they had to get to. We had our third and final fish fry of the week and everyone went to bed early. Today (Sunday) Mark, Troy and Paul took the boat over to Mille Lacs in the early morning for a few hours but were unsuccessful. We cleaned the cabins and headed home and are tackling the laundry pile!

Here are a few miscellaneous photos from the week:

Paul relaxing on the dock:Lucy grabbed Troy's hat and wore it around:

Alex and Lucy reading:Nana Vicky and Lucy reading:Troy and the crappie he's going to have mounted (insert my excitement here):

Lucy goin' fishin':


Just chillin' in her chair:Hanging out with Zach:Abby takes a nap:My first and only nap of the week:Lucy and Uncle Eric:
Mama and Lucy in the hammock:

2 comments:

Beth said...

YEA! PICTURES! I'm glad you had such a fabulous vacation. Looks like Lucy is pretty steady on her feet now! She's gonna have to be quick to keep up with all the church runners. :)

Welcome home.

Melody said...

CUTE!!! Isn't vacation wonderful??? My trip to Texas was awesome. As always happens when I come home from Texas, I cry my heart out the night before. My heart is truly there. It was 100 degrees pretty much every day I was there...and humid. PERFECT weather for me. I love it. I stayed at my friend Pam's house and she wasn't even home (they were in Oregon for their son's wedding). So I had lots of peace and quiet!!! And she has an awesome in ground pool in her backyard (with attached hottub), so I spent most of my time poolside. Oh to be back in Texas...
See you soon. Oh...our books came while I was gone. YEAH!!

Welcome home!