Sunday, March 16, 2008

Going to the Zoo and Sunday School

Yesterday Kellie and I took the kids to the MN Zoo and it was a good time! We were there for almost 4 hours and the kids were great! Our first stop was Discovery Bay where you can see the dolphins underwater and Lucy smashed her face against the glass, as did every kid (surprisingly she has no illnesses today from licking all those germs yesterday!). We just took our time meandering thru the indoors of the zoo and then ended our day with a trip on the monorail! No camera with me but maybe Kellie can send some for me to post.

I have been battling this ugly head cold for a few days now with no relief so I was asleep by 8. Lately Lucy's been having some cranky nights where she just can't soothe herself so it was one of those nights last night too.

Today was my last Sunday School group. It was the 4th and 5th graders and I really tried to remember all their names (I am so horrible with names!) Each age group was different in their own. My first Sunday was with 2nd graders, a very chatty group with one trying to outtalk the other. I can only remember about half of their names and I think there were 8 kids. Then the second week I made it a point to remember the kids' names (lucky me, there were only 2!) of the 1st graders. When I read the story of Jesus' death for them, one would stop me every sentence to define a word I had just read, so I knew they were paying attention so that was good. The other would tell me random things as I read the story like "my mom likes pink!". ok... Then this group today. As they came in the room I asked their name, and then I would add it to the next person's name, hoping that by the time I got to the 8th person I'd have everyone down pat. (I'm home now and I remember 5 of them.) This group seemed the most "mature". After I read the story, I got more "in deep" questions like, why was Jesus punished? What crime did he commit? So that was fun, because I still ask those questions! Then we got to talking about Easter break and vacations and where we've been in the past. So a little more easy conversation/interaction with this age group. I hope I can teach Sunday School again, although next time it may be with another church!

The sign is up in our yard now. I do like the Century 21 signs, they aren't a bright eye sore as some realtor signs can be. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I think the neighbors have already noticed the sign. No bites yet though, I think this house selling is going to be a long road.

I wish we could have the 'perfect' circumstances in our lives right now - a new job opportunity for Troy in Wisconsin, that would allow me to stay home with Lucy and we could stay in Baldwin. But it didn't happen like that. So you weigh what's the most important to you and make the sacrifices. When I think of us moving to Rochester I feel like it's a temporary thing like in two years we'll be back and I know that's not the case. We'll move there and we'll have to get involved in church and community activities to start making it feel like home. I'm worried that I won't be able to go to the grocery store and see at least 3 people I know. I'm worried that the churches will be too big down there that we won't get to know people or be involved on a smaller level. I'm worried about feeling safe and letting my daughter play outside in a community we don't know or leaving the door unlocked or the garage open if I'm just making a quick trip to the store. I've lived in Baldwin three years now and it took the first two for it to start feeling like home. I love that I see the same people at church as I do in the bank as I do in the grocery store as I do on a walk.

Another huge concern is my flexible job not being flexible anymore. We are not doing this huge change in our lives so that I'll have to find full-time daycare for Lucy and commute an hour and a half to work every day. But management has their own ideas of how things should be and me working second shift from home isn't one of them. So a lot is on my mind and heart in what 'should' be an exciting time for us.

But it's a beautiful sunny day out today. Troy and Abby are doing spring poop cleanup in the yard and Lucy is napping. Have a great week!

1 comment:

Beth said...

We're thinking of you guys!

Beth

P.S. - Tell Troy and Abby to stop over with their shovels! :)